When it comes to being successful in life, leadership and business, having a strong and positive mindset is key. It can be easy to slip out of a positive and empowering mindset at times. This week’s blog will share a few tips and tricks, as well as a checklist, for you to ensure you are staying in a positive mindset. Enjoy!
- Your mindset is a result of your focus. When you wake up every day, you decide what you will focus on. Will you focus on opportunity, abundance, love, kindness and action? Or, will you focus on the opposite? The choice is up to you.
- Consider who you spend the most time with in your personal and professional life, and consider their focus. Are they optimistic and full of positive energy? Or, the opposite? The people you spend the most time with will have a large impact on your mindset.
- How do you start your day? What you do in the first 30-60 minutes of your day sets the tone for the rest of your day. Do you fill your mind with positive and encouraging messages, videos, books and focus? Or the opposite?
- How do you view the current state of affairs in our economy and world? The way you answer this question is a result of your focus and will shed light into your mindset.
- Are you “towards” or “away” focused. I remember a mentor asking me this once. If your goal is to make one million dollars, there are two focuses you can have.
- Towards focus. Example: I am making one million dollars and pursuing financial independence.
- Away focus. Example: I am making one million dollars because I do not want to be poor anymore.
- Although you may accomplish your goals in both cases, you will have very different results in response to your focus.
- Consider the language you use. A friend of mine will often ask my advice when he has a problem. I asked him why it is a problem and not an opportunity. A family member of mine always states that he is “not bad” vs “great.” I waiter recently mentioned to me at dinner that he was “hanging in there” vs. “overcoming obstacles.” The language you use matters. It is both a result of your focus, and will continue to direct your focus.
- Do you have written affirmations? Do you have a written vision? Do you have written goals? It has been proven that people who have written affirmations, visions, and goals will tend to be more successful and accomplish these things more so than others who do not.
- Do you have a what cues are in your life that will pull you out of a positive mindset and begin to take you to a negative one? If so, what are they? Do you recognize them when they present themselves?
- Do you have somebody in your life who can snap you out of it when you start becoming negative? If so, do they have your permission to call you out when this happens? Make sure they know they are this person to you and give them full permission to snap you out of it.
- A positive mindset is a muscle that must be worked out. You may have grown up in an environment of doom, gloom, and never catching a break. You may have been surrounded with disempowering language and beliefs for much of your life. You may have been fed negativity and it has weighed you down. Becoming more positive takes the first step of practicing these above skills and continuing to practice these skills. When this happens, you will build mindset muscle memory!
Truth be told, I am not 100% positive 100% of the time. I don’t believe anybody is. It is completely okay to have a bad day, and spend a little time being in a bad mindset. I have been there and done that. Be careful however, not to stay there too long, or to forget that you are in a bad mindset. The point of this blog is to give you some tools and things to consider to stay in a positive mindset.
For more free tools on how to grow your business and advance your leadership, click here.